cbam! On Thursday, February 14, 2013

 This weeks edition we got the opportunity to listen to several "pulp fiction" novels or radio shows. I choose the radio shows and was glad I did.
I started off listening to;
"Mercury Theater "The Man Who Was Thursday" Sept. 5, 1938
I Love a Mystery "The Roxy Mob" Jan. 18, 1939
Bob Hope Show March 7, 1939 w/Judy Garland"

I quickly discovered that each evening show began and ended in commercials typically describing the wonders of Cambell soup or the perfect gas. These commericals within themselves were small gems as the announcer assured me that if I had never tried mushrooms before that if I tried cambell's mushroom soup, I would never go back. No questions.

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/wort5xtvdedsdx.jpg

The gas commercial in front of "Calling All Cars "The Moving Picture Murder" April 3, 1934"
Was equally amusing as you hear two people driving in a car when suddenly a woman screams  and a loud crash is heard. A man apologizes to his wife and swiftly leads into a conversation with a cop who, not so subtly, suggests using "what I thought everyone knew" as the special brand of gas that cops buy.
Between the Campbell soup commercials and the radio stories themselves I can't quite decide which I liked more.

In these stories were highly dramatized situations of theft and murder. Rather easy to tell where the first soap show came from. 


I recommend putting on a couple of these episodes while your working or casually cooking. The stories are pretty fun while hearing the rather up front and frank way of talking back then is a treat.


Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments