cbam! On Sunday, April 21, 2013

Last class we touched upon Comics and they’re rich uprising against the norm. After careful debate as to why such a stark backlash would happen it reminded me of a very similar backlash that happened in the video game industry. For a long time video games were concerned with getting hands on joysticks and bodies in the arcade. Everything was based on entertainment and challenge. Yes, games still keep these aspects as golden statues in their temples but many games have started to shift away from readability and into something a lot bigger.


Video games as art.

http://thatirishvideogameblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/art-31.jpg

This concept has been highly snubbed by many a generation but due to a few daring games and developers willing to push the limits it’s becoming more accepted. You will always have your point and click shooter, VS combat games, RTS and just about every other concoction of immediate gratification. Don’t get me wrong, I grew up on Counterstrike and love Team fortress 2, but they are not the games that leave me awake at night trying to really dig into why the game made me feel the way I did. One of the first games that I would spend hours replaying was a small game called Flow.

http://thatgamecompany.com/wp-content/themes/thatgamecompany/_include/img/flow-pc/flow-pc-game-screenshot-1.jpg

Flow didn’t have a story line; no princess’ to save or destiny’s to be revealed. Everything was up to you based off of very few guidelines that held the game together. You can race through the game going right to the lower level or you can take your time and go for building yourself up by killing other creatures. Either way you eventually make your way down where the equivalence of a boss is spinning in the black abyss all by himself. While battling him you start to notice how neck and neck the fight is. If you ever disengage him he doesn’t chase you. If you go up to a upper level he doesn’t penalize you. If you do eventually kill him you’re taken all the way back up to the top and start anew. This quick action is very jarring and I typically am left to wonder what I just did. Was it all for nothing? No bonus’ or power ups. No extra and bigger bosses? Who was that I just killed? Was it me? Did he/she go through the same life I just journeyed down? Did I even need to kill him/her?

It’s right about now that I get very in depth with the whole thing and need to put the game down. For me this eerie sense of emotion is rarely given to me by other games. I’m not contemplating my opponent’s entire life span after launching a whole magazine into him/her. I’m looking for the sweet reward behind the kill – the little animated points above how much damage I’ve dealt or If I had successfully made a pentakill because I killed 4 more of his teammates moments earlier.  
 

 
A very similar game that was widely acclaimed was Shadow of the Colossus. I personally adore this game. It does lead you into the more traditional sense of “save the princess” but gut loads it with mystery and guilt. I never felt guilty about saving princess Zelda before but this time I seriously questioned my entire journey and had to deal with my own actions. This is a rare feeling coming from a game. It felt like I had a true hand in decisions and how they affected my character and his outcome even though the game would tell you where you would go next.



I could go on for hours talking about these games and we haven’t even gotten to multiplayer games such as ICO and Journey.  I’m sure there are others out there who do far better jobs at dissecting these issues than I but if you haven’t experienced this for yourself I implore you to go out and play these games for yourself. There are plenty out there they I have not even mentioned.


Add caption
These are a few of my favorite things....



 See what you feel and see if they really line up only as entertainment and not great master pieces that they should be recognized as. 

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments